Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Going Home

Traveling with Deb has some serious advantages. On our whirlwind trip home for Rosh Hashanah, she was able to swing first class tickets on Delta using her 2.2 billion frequent flier miles . . . much better than cattle car for sure. Unfortunately our flight from Denver was at 6:15 which meant leaving my house at 4:15 to pick her up and get to the airport.

We had a very delicious but nontraditional dinner on the first night of the holiday, opting for fried chicken and mashed potatoes since Catherine was around and willing to fry up some chicken for us. It has been years since I've had Catherine's fried chicken which used to be a fairly regular staple growing up. Catherine has been in our family longer than I have and it was nice to see her after so many years. Nothing too much has changed on the home front except for the scenery in Chapel Hill. The independent paper had an article about the current state of Franklin Street, lamenting the changes over the years. I am surprised it has taken so long for them to make mention of it since what was once the local, hip, unique hub of downtown Chapel Hill has become a relatively bland dump, muddied by chain banality. There are various institutions whose disappearance will mark my point of no returning to Chapel Hill.

I was able to catch up with a few friends before ditching town Sunday morning. It was nice to catch up with Jonathan and Sally who I hadn't seen in a year or so. Jonathan is trying to talk me into joining the boat trip to the BVIs, but I'm hoping to be going to New Zealand in November for Tour of Southland instead. As soon as I got home, it was time to pack again, this time to head up to Steamboat Springs for a vacation from my oh so hard, unemployed lifestyle.

No comments: