Monday, November 30, 2009

You Win Some . . .

Today was the first round of inspections for my "Retail Food Standup" license over at the shop. I passed the health inspection since there was very little to see other than an existing, licensed commercial kitchen. I failed the fire department inspection for small issues that will be remedied within the week so I should be able to reinspect on that one and get the public safety inspection before the end of the week. With any luck, I will have my license by the end of the week as well. That will take one of a million tasks off the list prior to opening. Amazing how many people have their hand out when it comes to getting a business started. The city gets their cut numerous times as does the state . . . when am I gonna get whats mine's!?

Thanksgiving is done and gone, but the leftovers are still aplenty. If you take a look at the tweet from Rise & Shine, you'll find the first go at the Thanksgiving leftover biscuit. It was good for the few seconds it lasted. Steve was kind enough to pass on a recipe for turkey soup which fit exactly what I was looking for with ingredient #1 being "1 picked over turkey carcass" and boy did I ever have one of those. The dumplings weren't exactly what I was expecting and if I were to make the soup again, I'd probably revert to the tried and true dumpling recipe I have used in the past. I would still add the parsley since it complemented the soup nicely.

I was able to extract the wishbone from the turkey carcass before putting bones to water for soup. What is the ruling on this wishbone pull, who wins?


I will use a few more of the leftovers for some turkey fried rice and the perennial favorite "stuffing and cranberries on a spoon" but after that, I'm really never eating again.

I got home from working today to find a couple escape artists had gotten free so I hauled the solid dog jail out of the basement. Ellie has been breaking through the soft sided crate that Dempsey chewed up long ago.


Pretty cute for a bunch of hooligans. Dempsey has to take a short break from his usual running and frolicking since he has a boo-boo on his foot from playing too vigorously this morning. He really, truly has a rough life.

No comments: