Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sweet Action . . .

Oh how I do love some Sweet Action ice cream!  It seemed like a good idea to swing by after dinner for a scoop and the ice cream was top notch as usual.  After trying a few flavors, I opted for the Huckleberry Pie and Deb went for the Red Velvet Cake, both winners.  There is one part of the experience, external to the store, that pains me greatly . . . being in hipster central on South Broadway!


Unfortunately there were elements I couldn't pick up with my stealthy shot.  The blue suede shoes and penny loafers really completed the above outfits as did the track bike that dude with the messenger bag walked up with (riding fixies is hard, but you still look cool if you just stand next to it).

I did some hipster fact checking to confirm my suspicions, it is all about expressing your fierce individuality through conformity, mimicking fashions gleaned from other sub-cultures/groups.  A couple notes; hipsters hate anything you like and like anything you hate and a hipster will die a fiery death before admitting to being a hipster.

The loafers really got me thinking.  Who do I know who rides a bike in penny loafers . . . hmmm, my dad!  It really is true that fashion is cyclical because apparently dear old dad is again at the top of the game with zero effort which in my eyes makes him way cooler than any hipster out there . . . penny loafers, check . . . tweed jacket with elbow patches, check . . . facial hair (although no ironic intent), check!  In keeping with my thought that since the invention of the internet original thought is hard to come by, low and behold, there is already a "dads are the original hipsters" site, complete with pictures and commentary.

I can only hope that this fashion wave of anti-fashion will pass and a few years from now, all of these people will browse their photo collections and reflect upon how inanely stupid they looked . . .

No comments: