Monday, June 15, 2009

Glenwood Springs

Rumors were true . . . We got to Carbondale for the time trial in time to find out that Lance Armstrong and Levi Leipheimer would be jumping into the P/1/2 group to test out new equipment and stuff. They went fast, faster than I did, but it was still cool to see them out there, even passing going opposite directions at high speed. I went fast enough for 3rd place among the real people, 5th overall if you include the "guest" racers.

The road race was OK, but kind of a cluster with mass confusion about who crossed the nonexistent center line on the dirt road. I was the last guy to get popped going into the turn around and couldn't close the gap to the lead group in the wind. When I sat up to join the next group back, they weren't doing anything at all so the lead group was as good as gone. Little did we know, we were actually racing for 12th place.

I wouldn't call my participation in the crit "racing" but I'd say I was there for ceremonial purposes, just representin'. Brian said the average speed for the crit was 27 mph which is pretty high on a course that has corners that you should be slowing down for. I don't know if any of the sponsors were out there, but the vehicles were magneted up and the flags were flying.


We made our presence known and had a good time in general watching the races prior to our own.


The weather caught us on the way home, but the rainbows around Dotsero were very impressive.


We had to laugh at the ladies in the convertible plowing straight towards the pots of gold at the ends of the rainbow only to find out that rain usually accompanies rainbows instead of gold . . . they stopped to put the top up, when they were smack in the middle of the rainy area. Me, I just turned the windshield wipers on.

No comments: