Saturday, November 28, 2009

No, Seriously . . . I Mean It!

I have a great list of valid excuses for not keeping up with blog posting. I give you the first one . . .


I hit my head a little while back, leave me alone, my brain needs to heal. Not really, as you can see my helmet did its job and protected what little functioning brain I actually have. In all seriousness, I have been meaning to get a few more pictures up. Going back in time, I was in NZ and have photo evidence.


This was yet another look from the team car in the caravan. At this point in the race, Mike Olheiser was up the road with the rest of the leaders and on his way to taking the stage win on Stage 8. Mike has had a pretty spectacular season, what a great way to cap it off.


And of course, when you win stages, you have other duties like signing autographs. It was really cool to see how the Tour of Southland impacted the communities it passed through. Everybody was out on the road to watch the race go past. In most towns any school we passed had a gaggle of children out front, cheering the riders on.


I did make it to the beach in California while hanging out with Pinkerton. It was a slightly overcast day so there was no swimming in the ocean. Laguna Beach is a cool little beach town with all sorts of shops, restaurants, and whatnot with great people watching. It also has the steepest one block hill on the planet.


I tried to track down some topographic info for this one, but had no luck getting good numbers. I am going to go out on a limb and say this was at least 25% grade for the one block. Meanwhile, back at home . . .


Here's a shot that shows the painting at Rise and Shine in progress. The palate is distinctly different from what Basil Doc's was. I told Mike that there was no additional charge for selecting a very basil-like set of colors. We did all the paining, including the light fixtures that were forest green and hanging down a little far from the ceiling. Before:


After . . . well, one of the fixtures was in place for this shot. I picked up some 12" downrods as opposed to the 24" that were there originally and rattle-canned everything a nice aluminum tone. I don't have the best skills when it comes to spray painting things, but I got the job done and the lights are much less obtrusive now.


All of the time spent at the shop has cut into getting things done at home. I did get the panels back on the Astoria which will remain the "home" espresso machine for now. I am going to list it for sale in the hopes of picking up a single group machine that I could use as a backup for the shop. It might be more useful if I had a machine that I could actually pick up and bring to the shop if needed. Any takers?


The powder coating worked very nicely for both machines. The Rancilio Z11 can be seen at Rise and Shine, starting January 1, 2010. I am in the process of getting the final details taken care of, the little things like restaurant license inspections, sales tax licenses, and whatever else comes up. It will be nice to open for business and get to a point where my schedule becomes somewhat regular. It has been quite the adventure so far and thanks to Melissa at Studio Harris, there is now a look to this whole thing . . .


I spent part of the day wandering the Crestmoor and Hilltop neighborhoods by the shop. There are plenty of potential customers within walking distance, it will be my job to capture that potental otherwise Dempsey might have more meals like this:


With the 70 degree temperatures yesterday afternoon, he decided a snocone, minus cone, plus grass sounded like a good treat. The dog continues to amuse me with his antics. Hopefully he will put up with the new schedule which will mean walks at 5:00 AM. Hopefully I will too!

No comments: