Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Gardening is Hot!

Everything in the yard has been growing much faster than I have been keeping track of and documenting! I managed to get some seeds and seedlings in the ground sometime shortly after the mother's day weekend which generally gives Colorado Front Range gardeners the green light for frost free planting.  I suspect I could have started earlier and I will next year with some seeds started indoors.

What was once an empty box, aside from the dirt added, is now full and lush. The one of the crookneck squashes (upper right corner of the first box) has really taken off. The other seems to be lagging behind a bit, but maybe that will result in an accidentally staggered harvest.  The various lettuces seem to be doing alright, but something is nibbling on the row of bitter salad mix ... as well as the radishes.  I suspect the culprit is the notorious flea beetle.  I have seen a few hop around when I have plucked a few leaves for sampling.  Word on the street (or the internet) is that used coffee grounds repel these little guys and fortunately I have a very steady source.


The radishes have been rapid growers and I never really took the opportunity to space them out after they sprouted.  I'll be harvesting them as they start showing decent sized roots, I don't want them to get too bitter. I did space out the romaine, unfortunately right as it started getting hot out. Some of it should survive, but it definitely looks a little stressed.


I thought the Japanese Eggplant blossom was particularly charming looking with its purple hue.  I hear that eggplants can be quite prolific once they start fruiting.


Besides pest control, I have a pretty regular schedule and cycle of garden chores.  There seems to be no shortage of weeds that magically appear around the plants.  I rather enjoy my late evening watering and picking sessions. There is something very relaxing about the mindless activity.  With any luck, my next shots will be of my first harvests!

No comments: