Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cookies!

I decided to get on my bakin' horse last night and bake some cookies in the brief bit of time after riding, but before sleeping. I'm a sucker for the Ginger Spice cookie at Whole Foods (side note, the worthless Wild Oats recently gone Whole Foods by my house is still using their own bakehouse and does not have these cookies yet) and decide to give it a whirl at home. I found a Ginger Spice Cookie recipe on Epicurious and fired up the oven. Since I didn't feel like making a trip to the store, I left out the chopped, crystallized ginger, plus the version at Whole Foods doesn't have any.


The dough was a little bit softer than I had anticipated, next batch, I will add a little more flour and refrigerate for more than an hour. I still struggle with "structure" in my cookies, they get some good loft in the baking process, but tend to flatten out significantly when they cool.


I'm not very good with my cookie spacing, fortunately it doesn't hurt the cookies too much. If one breaks in the separation process, I know how to take care of it.

Dempsey and I took a new route this morning on our walk. Looks like somebody in the neighborhood is solving multiple problems with a smart. What to do about that carport that is only big enough for 1.5 cars . . .


At an estimated 33/41 MPG in the city and on the highway, any little bit (really will the puns ever stop?) helps. Becca told me a few years back the smart cars in Switzerland had problems in the snow. The were so torquey and the wheelbase so short that they'd flip over backwards. I'll keep my eye out for that this winter with more of the vehicles on the roads in town as gas gets more expensive.

A couple quick footnotes on yesterday's post; I've never actually been to Allen & Son, field trip anyone? Thanks to The Virginian for the correction on Gordonsville. It just goes to show you can't trust everything you hear from professors at UVa.

2 comments:

Steve Daniels said...

Allen & Son's is the 2nd best BBQ in the area, and that's saying something. In the past few years, a place called Backyard BBQ Pit has opened up in Durham. It's well worth the drive...even from Denver. Backyard BBQ Pit

Steve Daniels said...

Addendum: The sides at Backyard BBQ Pit are the best I've ever tried. They have stellar mac & cheese and are the only place in the area where you can get fried cabbage.