Friday, June 20, 2008

Lightweight

Got something new and exciting cooking up in the kitchen yesterday afternoon. With the right ingredients, temperatures, and a little luck you too can get your very own Ibis Silk SL . . . a credit card will help speed the process.


This is Kevin's frame for 2008, fresh out of the box from Ibis. I figured why not get it up on the scale now while I have the chance. There are a couple extra bits on the bike (seat post clamp, cable ferrules, etc) that bump up the weight a hair, but as you can see this is one light frame.


Weighing in at a whopping 936 grams, the Ibis is among the lightest of the lightweights, yet it is stiff where it should be and very responsive. My bike has stood up to the tests of Colorado races on dirt roads and the daily abuse my 180 lbs can dish out.

I will take any weight savings I can get for the next couple weekends. Tomorrow is the Rist Canyon Road Race which has some lovely climbs when enjoyed at a leisurely pace. Something tells me race pace won't provide the same amount of pleasure. This year we get to ride over the dam right out of the gate. That climb only shows up as a blip on the elevation profile, but I remember it causing significant damage in past races.



Full race report to follow, after I wake up from my nap tomorrow afternoon, why do we start at 7:30 in the morning . . .

No comments: