Monday, April 21, 2008

A Weekend at Home

. . . the other home, the one in NC I mean. Deb and I headed back home to celebrate the start of Passover with most of the family. We also took a moment to wish the mother a happy, belated birthday and take her out for a lovely dinner at Piedmont. I was impressed with the progress in downtown Durham, NC around the "new" ballpark. It seems like it has taken forever for revitalization to get going despite the money being pumped that direction. Back in the day, there was very little reason to head that direction, now it looks much more inviting.

We also made the requisite pilgramage to Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen. I did some research for when it comes time to open the Denver branch of SBK. Pricing and menu have changed a little bit and they took out the old school wooden sign on the side of the building and replaced it with a printed menu, tacked up to a cork board on the other side of the building.


From what I hear, the ownership has changed a couple times since I was last home and the biscuits aren't as good as they once were, but the building is still the same. I'm not sure how they even fit all four employees in the shack at once and I can't even imagine how hot it gets in there with the oven at 425 degrees.


This trip marked the end of an era, one that started back when I was four years old, maybe even younger. I give you exhibit A, the suitcase:


I decided to finally retire it and leave it where it came from, the upstairs closet in my childhood home. I give you exhibit b, its replacement:


Just as goofy in size and scale, but a little better in its construction. I don't need wheels on my suitcase, just something that is the right size for a two to four day trip, that can be thrown in the overhead storage on any normal airplane. Deb threatened to buy a Dora the Explorer suitcase for me, fortunately I found something passable that should get me through the next 28 years.

Despite it being the world's fastest trip back east, I was able to see a bunch of people I had not seen in forever. Next time I am staying longer than a day and random fractions of the two days surrounding it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Duuuude...No Mama Dip's??!?

Steve Daniels said...

Sunrise is still good, no matter what anyone says. It's the best hangover medicine EVAR!