Monday, February 2, 2009

Uh, Wow . . .

There are times where something gets so built up in your head and the excitement generated ultimately isn't reflected by the end result. There has been much anticipation and talk about the bikes for this season that I really didn't know what to expect when I got the call saying "the frames are in, come on over and see!"


They look incredible. I can not begin to do them justice with the camera I have. The silver is better than I hoped for. The detailing around the logos is spot on, especially the fact that the logo is a cutout showing the carbon weave underneath. Everybody at Ibis should be very proud of their work, hats off. Now to play the waiting game . . . forks are on order from Edge, brakes are on the way from TRP, and the gruppos are in the works. The only downside of having a beautiful frame come early is that you can't build it up right away.

I have plenty of other diversions and distractions to keep my brain occupied. I did very minimal work on the coffee "shop" this weekend having spent a respectable amount of time training, training for the upcoming season on a really sweet bike . . . did you see the seat post clamp? Sorry, where was I? Ah yes, I got another call this weekend letting me know that the cabinets were painted and ready to go. Beto did an amazing job laying down a base coat and clear coat. What was once a dull white is now . . .


I need to clean up the handles and get them back on for some accent and contrast, not to mention ease of opening the cabinet doors and drawers. I told him to focus his time and attention on the faces and that he did. The insides have the same paint for base coat, but there was no need to spend as much time since the doors will be closed 99% of the time.


I did not expect the depth and color in the reflection in a black paint. I knew I'd have black and shiny covered, but I'm pretty sure I could use the cabinet door as a shaving mirror if necessary. I can't wait to finish up the framing necessary for the built in area for the cabinets and get them installed. As dumb as it might sound, I'll put a couple coats of wax on the cabinets prior to installing them, it is an automotive finish after all. Again, better than anticipated and I can't wait to get it all put together.

No comments: