Friday, October 9, 2009

Double Days

Today was one of my first "two-a-day" workouts in a while, but since I get to do that a couple times for Southland I need to get the body used to such efforts. My schedule was looking pretty chopped up for the afternoon and it was too cold to get out for an effective workout in the morning, so it was trainer time for me. Amazing how busy you can make yourself as an unemployed person when you start plotting and scheming.

I have been fulfilling my job search requirement for unemployment and have discovered that I am merely looking for a job/paycheck. None of the potential opportunities really got me excited and the though of working for somebody else, doing something I may or may not (98% probability of "not") enjoy/care about wasn't making me feel any better about it all. I have kicked around the idea of making a dramatic change of direction in my career path, but I have never been willing to take the risk or make the sacrifice to head another direction. This week, I got a good but unexpected nudge in the right direction. Having talked about a possible biscuit joint in the past, I wanted to get advice from people who have experience in the food service industry. I ran into Mike, the owner of Basil Docs, on my way west for a training ride and mentioned to him that I was looking to have him talk some sense into me and talk me out of such a venture. The conversation went the opposite direction in a hurry since Mike has space over in the Crestmoor location in which he has been considering a morning coffee operation for a while now. To make a very long story short, I am working on becoming said operation.

I started setting up meetings with some of the local coffee roasters/wholesalers to find out what support is available for independent shops as well as what my costs will look like for the beans and sundries side of the business. From the first meeting, I have a variety of samples to test and a million more questions to ask. Yesterday afternoon, I followed up on an ad in craigslist for an espresso machine since I really don't want to take down the home setup. I now have the highest espresso production capability per square foot in the neighborhood for sure. I bought the second grinder a while back with the intent of getting to to Steve, but now it will be going to the shop. I put new burrs in and will break it in over the next few weeks.


The Rancilio MD-50 grinder will match my brand new, used Rancilio Z11 Omicron, 2-group espresso machine very nicely. The stock photo looks like this:


The machine has some wear, but I plan on taking off the side panels and taking them to the powder coater prior to getting the shop open.


Given the stripped state of the Astoria at home, the Rancilio will be much better presentation wise for a business. You can see how the grinders compare, the Mazzer Super Jolly on the left and the Rancilio on the right. They are both beasts, the MD-50 can grind 20 lbs/hour.

So along with getting ready to race in NZ, I have added many elements of excitement to my life. I am happy with the notion of taking the career bull by the horns and having a great deal of control of my own destiny. There is always truth in the fact that work will always be . . . well, work. In this instance I look forward to the challenges, knowing that it is work that I will enjoy and feel satisfied with my investments of time and emotion. Plenty more to come . . .

1 comment:

Kitt said...

Wow! That's pretty darn awesome. Best of luck with it.