Sunday, October 11, 2009

Signs of Trouble

You might have a small caffeine problem when you have more equipment than many a small coffee shop in the back room of your house.


This is the new machine, at least a bad photo of it, purchased off of craigslist for $450. Given that they retailed for $7400 when new, I'd say I got a pretty good deal, especially since it does function.


On initial inspection and fire up, I'd say it is in better shape overall than the Astoria when I picked it up back at the first of the year. This being a semi-automatic machine, dosing is controlled electronically, meaning it has a ton of electronics and parts to break (brain box, flow meter, control panel, etc.). After a quick search online, I found the manual and figured out how to program the buttons. Good news is that it works . . .


The Astoria has none of this stuff and the only reason it is exposed on the Rancilio is because the side panels are going to the powdercoater this week. Any color suggestions will be taken into consideration.

I will be doing a thorough flush of the boiler and the lines. Right now the brew heads run clean, but the hot water line (the one on the right works, the one on the left does not) is a little cloudy and funky. Given that I bought the machine on the cheap, I expected there would be some work needed. Hopefully it remains the case that it is less than I expected. Gotta go drink more coffee now . . .

No comments: