Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Good and The Bad

Sometimes Mike gives me workouts that seem cruel and unusual. This afternoon was one of those workouts that I was thankful to have somebody to ride with, otherwise I would have turned around and gone home before finishing the interval . . . the hour long interval . . . at a cadence of 40 RPM, going up High Grade Road in the big ring . . . 53x14 to be exact (until I cracked and dropped to the 17). I followed Greg up the hill, churning away, following the instructions which included riding out of the saddle the entire time. As soon as I hit the hour mark, I turned around and froze my butt off going back down the hill and had to call in the rescue. Fortunately Sarah was kind enough to pick me up so I cut my ride short at 2:24 instead of making it an even 3:00 to ride back home in the dark, that's a bad thing.

I wanted to get out earlier but had some business to take care of for the new venture. I met with a few local roasters to find out what they were all about and see whose coffee I might want to have in my shop. I was very impressed with Novo Coffee and everything they have been doing with their own business as well as the coffee shops and restaurants they support. I took a tour of their roasting facility with one of the owners and then headed to their retail outlet at the Denver Art Museum followed by a shop they work with in the Uptown neighborhood. It is very clear that they value personal relationships with those they work with from the farmers they buy beans from to the people they know in the local coffee community. I have some decisions to make given that there are so many choices in town for quality coffee suppliers, but that's a good thing.

No comments: