Sunday, December 16, 2007

And Seth said, "let there be light . . ."

Nothing like fluorescent lighting in the kitchen . . . cooked meat is sort of greenish, nothing looks natural under such light.


When in doubt, get the jigsaw out. I laid things out earlier in the week and got to cutting this weekend. Nothing like creating a huge mess in the kitchen with bits of plaster flying everywhere. I ended up with a nice thin layer of old attic munge as it trickled through in the cutting process.


Placement was about as good as I could manage, being simple and all that.


Ah, look at the pretty incandescent glow . . . I went out to the meter to watch the wheel spin faster than it ever has before.


You can see where the old fixture was and the layers of paint applied around it. I have some plaster to patch and the ceiling will have to be repainted, but such is life. I think it will all be worth it.



It was slightly horrifying to see the existing electrical work in the attic . . . there was a bunch of knob and tube still in place. I had to put in a junction box where the old fixture was because the previous installer had just poked the wire through the ceiling to the fixture. I am confident that the new 12 gauge wire is sufficient but the old stuff scares me slightly. If you see flames coming from my house, call 911 please.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The meter won't spin so fast if you put CFLs into the cans!