Monday, December 31, 2007

Add to the list

. . . of things to avoid doing . . . running up Bear Peak with Kevin., hat might take the top spot. Kevin is a great teammate except when he hurts me. Just do a quick search for his results in the cycling world and you'll see he isn't completely normal.

All kidding aside, Saturday was a great workout. The scenery was good, it was a trail I have never been on, and it was much better than another Saturday on the trainer. I had my doubts about being able to maintain even a jog for that long, but Kevin passed along some good tips and led the way at a pace that didn't cripple me. If you look at the hike information it says it is a 4.5 hour hike. I'm assuming that is under normal, dry conditions. We made it to the top, in the snow in an hour and change.

Kevin spent last "off-season" running this trail with Scott Elliott another one of the incredible athletes who lives, works, and trains in Colorado. I have yet to meet Scott, but his athletic resume is impressive. He said after doing that all of our racing seemed easy and I can see why. Running at threshold for an extended period of time is a lot harder than riding at the same level. It was good to mix it up some.

I'll find out today if the efforts of the weekend cratered me or not. I'm testing at the Echelon Sports Performance labs as part of the usual training program. Winter time is about maintenance, we'll see how I'm doing.

No comments: