Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Testing, Testing . . .

The tabs above this box tell me there is a scheduled outage . . . is this thing on? Can anybody hear me? Anyone?

Pinkerton and I were riding around the park the other night on one of our usual Monday evening recovery rides. The weather was warm (pretty sure there was a chance of snow though), the sun was shining, and the park was packed. There were people walking dogs, people jogging, people playing tennis, people riding bikes like us and people riding bikes like idiots. I hold a special place for the hipster crowd and their image conscious sensibilities. These fine youths were out riding their fixies, comparing their deep V rims, practicing their skids . . . there was some mocking going on and no attempt to cover it up, in fact we were trying to make sure we were heard in this instance. Said hipsters heard our comments and saw our head shaking and confronted us, asking if we always made fun of random people we didn't know and why.

I had to pause and think for a moment, does it still count as random if you make fun of everybody? We were commenting and being critical of just about everybody in the park that day, I don't think even young, old, or weak were spared. As for the why, it isn't as much us as it is them . . . does a t-ball ask why it is getting hit? I guess they don't read BikeSnobNYC at all, no refuge for fixters there . . .

In my attempts to maintain my image as a bike racer, I'll be riding the trainer tonight. I'd go outside, but with the weather possibilities . . . probably better not. That's ok, as long as I am listening to the right music and my friends think I am doing the right workout, I'll be good to go for the race on Sunday. Oh yeah . . . Koppenberg, hopefully not a repeat of last year.

No comments: