Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cherry Creek Finally

For the first time this year, it wasn't snowing and/or raining and freezing cold for the Wednesday evening Cherry Creek Time Trial. I drove out knowing that I would actually be racing (punctuated by the fact that I picked up the standard three shots of espresso to be consumed 40 minutes prior to my start time) instead of looking at the thermometer, turning around and going home!

Mike has been doing a good job with the coaching and what not as of late and I didn't have the same "off" sensations I had last year at the start of the series. Last year, I felt like I was struggling to get on top of the gears and was nowhere near as fast as prior years. Last night, I felt fast from the start and pushing the 55x11 was no problem. I got stuck behind three cars after the first few bends in the road and actually had to sit up and brake because they were hugging the shoulder so tightly. Approaching the one roller on the course, I tried to back off a hair, attack the "climb", and get back into the big gear as quickly as possible. I could have gone much, much faster on the turn around, I think I heard Dennis laughing when he passed me on that part. There might have been a slight headwind for the final section, but I just tried to keep my rhythm and plow through to the finish.

According to MapMyRide.com the course is approximately 10.65 miles. I beat my best time by seven seconds, turning a 21:46.31 according to the results, which would be an average speed of 29.35 MPH . . . I'll take it. The goal now is to get below 21:30.
Back at the ranch, the fence project started yesterday. According to Todd from No Hassle Fence, there were 2-3 fences built in the past, resulting in multiple chunks of concrete that had to be removed prior to setting the new posts. I'm glad I decided to pay somebody to do this project. I should have a completed fence by the weekend.


It might be time to have another fire themed party in the back yard . . . speaking of parties, Gwyn (of JD and Gwyn) and I (Deb is in the mix too) have decided to host a party for Kentucky Derby 134 on May 3. Get out your drinking hat and your Mint Julep cup!

No comments: