Friday, June 19, 2009

Don't Eat the Cookie Dough

On the way to work this morning, I heard a report on the radio about cases of E. coli being linked to Toll House cookie dough. I would have thought this would be an obvious one to most people, but do you really want to eat cookie dough that was made in a factory, spent a certain amount of time in shipping, sat in the store . . . ?


I know exactly where this bread came from. It came out of the oven nice and early this morning. I was highly motivated apparently, enough so to set the alarm for 5:05 so I could turn the oven on, get back up at 5:20 to put the loaves in, and head out the door for Dempsey's morning walk.


I'm very proud of my near perfect swirl of cinnamon and raisin this batch. I also did some tinkering with the recipe and timing. The loaves have been coming out fairly dense so I decided to let them rest overnight, covered to keep the tops from drying out.


It tastes even better than it looks. I'm sure it would make pretty incredible french toast, but I won't get to find out until Sunday at the earliest since tomorrow's race is at the ass crack of dawn in Boulder.


Things continue to grow well in the backyard, both intended and unintended. You can see the weeds are making good progress, but the geraniums are also sending out the next round of flowers. This weekend seems as good a time as any to give them their next feeding. If I survive the race and the self-inflicted suffer fest that will follow.

No comments: