Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Real Bike to Work Day

Yesterday was officially Bike to Work Day in Denver. I didn't ride my bike to work, but a bunch of other people did in the metro area. I was trying to find some compelling stories, some interesting coverage of the event, but came away from the search pages with absolutely nothing. It cracks me up how many people can only manage to ride into work one day out of the year. Bicycle commuting neophytes usually have a very positive reaction to the experience, expressing how much fun they had, how it wasn't nearly as bad as they thought it would be . . . so why not do it more often?

Preparations for the trip to Wyoming for the Dead Dog Classic continue. The field is the largest we've ever had for the P/1/2 race and like just about every other race this season, there is no shortage of talent. I've had the joy of covering the early move the past couple years in the road race. While there is some sense of accomplishment to be had from going over the summit first/alone, I'd like to be in a better position coming over it the second time which is what really matters in the end. This afternoon, I have a pre-race fitness test at the ESP labs to see how things are progressing as the season wears on. After that, I get to finish packing for the trip and more importantly finish up the road trip cookies for the weekend. What's a trip without cookies and how can you even expect to pop out a decent TT effort without the proper fuel? This weekend the featured selection is the Jumbo Chocolate Snapper, pictures to follow . . .

No comments: