Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Let's Get Ready to Ruuuuuumble!!!

There's all sorts of hubbub about Microsoft's new web search tool, Bing. Besides a stupid name, it has a prettier picture on the home page compared to Google's plain white screen, but that isn't really an important feature. I played around a little bit and it seems like classic Microsoft, full of features that rapidly become nuisance when it starts doing things for you on its own that you don't necessarily notice.


I thought I'd do a little more side by side comparing and depending on the search, the two engines come out with different or vastly different results.


I have to give Google the edge right now for a couple of reasons. One, it resizes as needed so everything fits in the window, whereas Bing does not. Two, it seems to have more logical order of listing of results on the first page than Bing, plus it includes images and video without having to go to the tabs at the top. Google/Bing your name and see what happens . . . who knows more about you in that oh so frightening way? I look forward to Google and others getting into the operating system side of the game where Microsoft has been relatively dominant. It would be nice to have options for more streamlined systems that don't bog down and that might actually be more useful.

The Colorado State Time Trial Championships are right around the corner and preparation is coming along swimmingly. I had high hopes that last year would be the final year on the course out by DIA, but no such luck. Part of my prep work has been subjecting myself to long intervals on the bike that simulate the conditions of the 38k effort. Last night, I put in a trainer ride to stay dry and to try to approximate the boredom I would experience for the 50 minute effort. Tonight, I will be riding up the I-70 frontage road on the TT bike, in position to . . . uh, simulate riding the TT bike while on a road made from asphalt. The truth of the matter is, I have done enough time trials now, I know what to expect and I know what to do in the days leading to the race. In the end, I will do as well as I can do, but there isn't much mystery or magic to it anymore. Thanks to advances in science, hopefully, by next year if they don't have a change in venue, somebody will be able to keep my brain alive outside my body while the rest of me races.

No comments: