Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Signs of the Times

One of my favorite lunch time activities is going to the grocery store and grazing. The store closest to the new office is the King Soopers in Stapleton which has an incredible mix of suburban housewives/husbands and "other" which makes for outstanding people watching. I've seen some questionable signage in grocery stores before, like the religious candles with a "satisfaction guaranteed" next to the price label . . .


This one is as good as the "adult cereal" sign at the Safeway on 6th and Downing that is just asking to be stolen. Seriously though, I have no idea what constitutes adult nutrition, I walked up and down the aisle and still couldn't come up with a good answer.

Apparently not only do I have to be concerned about homicide in my neighborhood, but now it seems there's a threat of piracy.


Unfortunately there aren't really any pirates, just a wacky neighbor. This sign got tacked up on what we thought might have been a guard shack, but turns out it is a pirate hangout.


I didn't really think about it prior, but the openings at the top might be for the cannons. I haven't checked the zoning code in detail, but it's gotta fall into the same category as "trellis over front gate" . . . None of us have any concept of what the neighbor is doing yet. Rumor has it the inspector was at the house for a good long while the other day. From a construction standpoint, the windows aren't straight, the "sash" is shimmed instead of the jamb, and the structure isn't square to the street/sidewalk. I can't wait to see the stucco job . . . in my construction experience I have never seen an American do stucco . . .


Tooling around this morning, I saw the above stencil work. It is pretty similar to Banksy and visually much more interesting than the usual tags. Yeah, 303 Homiez, I'm talking to you . . .

No comments: