Monday, October 29, 2007

Job Security

Just so all of you electricians, drywall finishers, and other trades know, as of this week your jobs are safe. I am at no risk of putting any of you out of work, especially the drywall finishers.

Here's the progression of demolition of the butler's pantry:





And then it went back together:




First off, thanks to John for helping me hang the drywall. It would have honked as a one person job. Thanks to Keely for putting up with said "home improvement" . . . I have made a lot of dust, but a lot of progress too.

This weekend I demoed the entire pantry, stripped the walls back down to the original plaster. As feared the previous owner did a couple things. He liquid nailed the plywood paneling to the plaster so as you can see in the pictures above, it was a mess when it got pulled off. He also torched a ton of space back there. The new shelving will provide much more and much more convenient storage for cereal, canned goods, etc.

There were a few adventures in it all. I shorted the circuit messing with the outlet, prior to throwing the breaker. There were sparks and the breaker was compromised to the point that the lights flickered pretty regularly. Great lesson learned about patience and taking the proper steps when beginning work. I was able to replace the breaker for a whopping $3.95 and the flickering is gone. When more work occurs in the kitchen I will be adding a breaker to the final position on the panel so as to be able to handle a microwave. Right now there is a whole lot on one circuit.

I did manage to get out and ride this weekend. I hit the hills of Boulder with Kevin yesterday and cratered more spectacularly than I ever have before. Coming back from Gross Reservoir I bonked thoroughly and completely and was reduced to a snails pace on the way back to Kevin's house. Fortunately he had some of his now famous pasta sauce ready for the eating when we go there! It is always a pleasure to ride with Kevin, he is still as fit as ever and can drop me in a heartbeat.

I think the time has come to turn on the heat in the house . . .

No comments: