Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Will Ride for Breakfast

I headed out this morning nice and early with the intention of meeting Keely and her family up the hill in Waimea for breakfast after the first big climb of the day. I was greeted as usual by a relatively stiff headwind from the house up to the turn off for Waimea and an equally strong wind going up the hill. I made it to Waimea slightly after they did which allowed them to scout out a spot for breakfast . . . nothing like sweet hawaiian bread for making the world's best french toast.

After breakfast I continued east from Waimea towards Honoka'a (a beat down, little town consisting of one strip with an old theater and a few shops). I opted to take the old Mamalahoa Highway, rumored to be more scenic and winding than the new Highway 19. Judge for yourself . . .







I emerged on the other coast . . . windy over there too. That side of the island is completely different. It is more lush and green and the scenery is a bit more spectacular with the island dropping away rapidly to the ocean. There are more rocky cliffs and jungle like settings.



Instead of braving the wind, I decided to hop into the car with Keely and head down the coast a bit more to see what we could see. We stopped at a few small towns along the way and hiked to the waterfalls which really were in the middle of the jungle. I have never seen plants with such huge leaves, not in person at least.



I managed to get in just about 3 hours on the bike, mostly climbing. The rest of the afternoon consisted of cocktail hour and more sitting by the pool . . . life is rough.

2 comments:

I am Brian said...

Did I mention that I hate you?

Hmmm... French toast on sweet bread, hadn't thought of that before.

Jessica said...

So, that's not really fair. I must say! Although I do take some comfort that you are now stuck with snow like the rest of us.