Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Bad and The Good

I keep hearing about layoffs in the news and figured somebody has to be keeping a tally. It turns out I was right and the total for 2009 through 1/28 is 151,352 pink slips handed out.

I have friends and acquaintances in just about every job sector out there from construction to tech to other. Nobody has warm, fuzzy feelings about job security and who can blame them? It isn't like you can leave one job and transition easily into something else. Everybody has half an eye out for themselves or somebody else on the job front. There is the notion of weathering the storm by hiding out in the academic world, but what does that really get you besides more debt at this point? Unless you know what you are doing, an MBA is essentially the newest college diploma in the sense that everybody and their third cousin has one, rendering it meaningless and just a bit to get you past the rough screen in the application process. I digress . . .

On the brighter side of things, I took a look at the race calendar for 2009 and made some reservations for out of town races. I'm all set to stay in scenic Albany, WY for the Dead Dog Classic Stage Race. I booked a luxurious cabin (not the double wide this time) at the Albany Lodge. I also reserved my room at one of the non-manky hotels in Salida, CO for the hardest omnium in the state. Last year, the start list read like a who's who of American Cycling. I am getting excited about the season, with any luck, I will do enough work on the website tonight to add a link. Here's a teaser:

No comments: