Thursday, January 22, 2009

Let There Be Light

Nothing like a warm afternoon to get some work done around the house after work. Yesterday after the workin' day was done, I accomplished a couple tasks on the to do list. One was setting a fence post for the new gate on the south side of the garage. This will let me put my trash can back in the corner and deposit it in the alley on the assigned day.

Since I painted my trim pieces for setting the light fixtures by the door of the garage the day before, I figured I would put up some lights to give the backyard the warm glow and needed light for traversing the 40' from the back door to the garage. I think it came out pretty well. Someday, I might take the stickers off the windows and give them some treatment to give the garage a more "lived in" look.


I also decided it was time to shed a little light on the espresso machine in the back room so I could actually see what I am doing in the wee hours of the morning when I pull the first shots. As you can see below, I still have some insulating to do, some drywall to hang, and another half wall to build . . . all in good time.


The light above is one of a pair that will be hanging when all is said and done, one for the coffee area and one to light the way to the basement. So far it is a great improvement over the bare bulb that was hanging on the brick wall. It might almost be too bright in there, but we'll see once the remodel is done.

My work as a junior electrician is almost done. I am still waiting on my motion sensor for the garage lights. Per my dad's recommendation, I hunted down a dual-zone, dual-bright unit that provides everything you could want and more. There is a downward facing sensor that turns the light on when you open the door from the garage as well as the one that will pick you up walking towards the garage. The dual-bright function kicks on at dusk and provides low level lighting until the sensor is activated. It stays in this mode for a set period of time after dusk, before resuming regular motion activated operation . . . pretty slick.

Now to play junior insulation installer . . .

1 comment:

Tim said...

Those lights would not be to code in Summit County. I'm just sayin' we are out on light pollution.