Thursday, January 8, 2009

Recommendations

I got some recommendations the other day about what I should include in my blog. One was outlandish tales . . . sometimes I think my every day life includes these, but the recommendation was more in the vein of something like, "So, the other day, I bought a pair of boxers at the thrift store and just found out they belonged to JFK." First of all, I don't buy my boxers at the thrift store and second of all, I just don't have that level of creativity.

The other recommendation was to keep an accurate account of my time use for a day. This would be easier to do, except that some times I do absolutely nothing. Well, it only seems that way . . . until you start jotting down notes on 15 minute intervals and then look at what was work related and what was just goofing off. In the spirit of procrastination, I'll take a stab at it for real tomorrow and see what a Friday in the life looks like.

My humdrum Wednesday perked up a bit when I got home yesterday afternoon to find my Woot Bag of Crap sitting on the front porch. I present you with the haul:


In keeping with the theme, I took a crappy picture, but there's the box, the cheap-o Christmas stocking, the snowman key chain, two Go Duster Pro dusters, and the best crap ever . . . the USB panic button.

I have been playing with the panic button all day long. Despite Target's wonderful description "Desk Toy, Features USB Connection, Made of Plastic" for the device, I am going to go out on a limb and say this thing kicks ass. With a little poking around, you can find better software for changing the operation of the button. There are customization options from sounds and images to simple VisualBasic applications that shut the computer down or activate the Task Manager to quickly end a process. Most of the contents of the Bag of Crap were given away, but for what I kept, I have to say best $8 spent. Nothing like the rush of actually buying something that is usually impossible to get before it sells out, combined with the anticipation created by tracking the package every 27.4 minutes. Thanks Woot!

See you tomorrow with a real account of a day in my life . . .

2 comments:

Jordan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kate said...

more important than riding Seth, this is the best way to account for your day. It is quite popular in different fields to always have going on your desk: http://wickedanomie.blogspot.com/2008/09/week-in-legos.html