Wednesday, January 21, 2009

From the Basement

As predicted, last night workout on the trainer was a big one, probably by far the longest trainer workout in a while. It is funny how long an extra 15 minutes seems when you are going nowhere fast. Amazingly, the workout felt pretty good for what it was . . . 50 minutes at threshold, 10 minutes of "weights on the bike" mixed in, and then some higher cadence stuff at the end. In the grand scheme of going nowhere, I rode 27.81 miles. Oh yeah, it was all on the time trial bike, in time trial position for all intervals and efforts.


Last night, I found Fox Soccer Channel with the sound off and the iPod playing through the stereo to be the perfect distraction. I was watching the Sky Sports feed for a while and then some Argentinian U-23 soccer. Some of those guys are pretty incredible and it didn't hurt that one team was much better than the other. It kept me entertained, yet allowed me to focus on the effort and what an effort it was.


The bottom number is the calories burned count. I will be conservative and say the Cateye is about twice as high as the actual number, but that still a lot of calories to burn in one sitting. It was nice and very reassuring to be able to complete the workout feeling that the efforts were tough, but that I wasn't struggling with the later intervals as I have in the past. The theme for this off season has been maintaining my baseline a little higher than years past in the hopes of building from that higher level come spring. We'll see what the next test says . . .

No comments: