Thursday, August 20, 2009

Departures

Let the mobile blogging begin. I made through check in and security
without too much issue. Apparently they have change the baggage rules
so many times that nobody really knows what's what. I got charged the
outrageous fee for a bicycle, $200, but it could have been way worse
since they could have tacked on an additional $150 for the bag being
over weight. I am not sure how I pulled that one, might have been my
diversionary tactic of asking if the limit for business class was
still 70 pounds or simply my charming good looks. In any case, the
bike bag never touched the scale.

I walked with the baggage handler and my bike down to the TSA peeps to
make sure they didn't destroy things in the repacking process. They
were very gentle and my bag moved on to the real threat, the DIA
luggage system. Security was very curious about my shoes and pedals
and x-rayed them about four times to make sure they were ok to carry
on the plane. As soon as I got to my gate, the agent announced that
they were looking for five volunteers to get bumped. Given that I was
looking at a five hour layover in Dulles, I figured I could torch a
few hours and sit in Denver for the sake of a free ticket. Too bad
Sarah was well on her way, otherwise we could have enjoyed a leisurely
breakfast in the vicinity of the airport.

So here I sit, the checked bags are on their way to Dulles. The
airport is going through its ebb and flow cycles as planes come and
go. The maintenance crew is bringing people carrier golf
carts...through the window, on the second story. I have pictures, but
can't post from here. Other than that, so far this trip feels like
any other. I hate the waiting game!

No comments: