Monday, November 3, 2008

Darkness

Joy of joys, soon it will be dark when I get up in the morning and dark when I get home. My major adjustments for going off of daylight savings time are getting more grumpy and more sleepy. I often have very little motivation to be awake beyond 7:30 when it is already pitch black outside. I was meant to hibernate and have been ignoring my instincts for the past few years. I'll see you all when winter is over . . . I just checked with work and I don't have enough vacation time to pull that one off, never mind.

Another Halloween has come and gone. I had a few trick or treaters come by the house, but I had some of the good stuff left over at the end of the night. I went to a party that was full of Sarah Palins, Junos, Jokers, and even a few original costumes. Some of the costumes were pretty tame, some were over the top. My costume was very simple, very subtle, and very off putting when people finally figured out what was what. Some commented that it was a good thing that there were only adults at the party. I pointed out that since they were serving alcohol it was a very good thing . . .

I took advantage of the weather Saturday and hit the tennis court for some cross training since Sunday was to be the long ride day. My tennis game is coming along quite nicely thanks to my once every two week practice sessions. I probably won't be hitting the pro circuit anytime soon, but it is nice to change up activities every once in a while.

Sunday, I hit the hills heading out from home to Golden, up Golden Gate, over to Nederland via Peak-to-Peak Highway, and down to Boulder before riding over to the cross race. You can visit the route here, nothing like a nice warm, November day to get in 5500' of climbing. I wanted to make sure I got to the cross race in time to see Mike Carter race his first cross race ever. He jumped into the 35+ Cat 4 race, starting at the very back because of registration order. Over the course of the race, stepping daintily over the barriers, he made his way up to 4th place by the finish. I'll have to try to get him to come race Cat 4 (sans age group) with me for the next race I decide to do, if I decide to do another.

By the time I got home from riding and spectating, it was already starting to get dark. I had a quick dinner and stayed up all the way to about 8:45 before going to sleep out of boredom. I can't wait til it starts snowing too, on top of being dark all the time.

No comments: