Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Finishing Off

My friend Rus gives me grief on a regular basis on a variety of subjects. This go round he was pointing the finger and laughing about my siding dilemma saying it would not have been such an issue if I did go for the "schwanky" Hardie product. I'm not going to lie, it is pretty nasty stuff. It is hard to move because it is heavy, flexible, but brittle and prone to snapping. There are plenty of warnings about cutting the stuff and the dust it creates. The James Hardie website lists good, better, and best alternatives where the best option is essentially "don't do it" . . .

By the end of the day today, the majority of the garage should be sided and ready for prep and paint. I took the cheater route and got some help for the siding, soffit and fascia. Everything I read said without the right tools for this job, more so than other jobs, it is a royal pain in the ass. Fortunately, I know some people who know some people and I can brush off the outrageous bids from people who are either really, really, really proud of their work or didn't have much desire to take the job in the first place.

The parents are rolling into town at the end of the week for the extended Thanksgiving stay. It has been a few months since I have seen them. I'm pretty sure they are coming to visit Deb and that I have been secretly disowned. The plan is to head up to the mountains for the holiday itself and spend some time relaxing and doing little to nothing.

I noticed the Jeld-Wen folks took a look back today, still no word from them on some grids for the windows . . . any help? The holidays are coming up . . .

No comments: