Monday, November 17, 2008

Wrapping Paper

It's not really wrapping paper and tape, but same kind of thought. Deb and I spent some time on Saturday (after my three hour ride on the actual road as opposed to the trainer) putting up the building paper and installing the windows on the garage. The age old debate about how to flash windows/openings properly still rages on with the true test being whether or not your openings leak in a driving rain storm. I went with the school of thought that says wrap the building first, cut out your opening, flash the sil, install window, flash jamb sides, then header, install Z-channel, then fold over top flap of building paper. Got that?

The windows were pretty much a breeze to install with the integrated nailing fin (and a little precision when it came to the rough openings). I siliconed the back side of the fin and pushed the window into place. With a little shimming, I got the window plumb, square, and level. I think my level is broken though, there are air bubbles in it . . .


As planned and expected, the side of the garage facing the house is sort of quaint and charming looking. For the person at Jeld-Wen who has hit the blog a couple times, can you hook me up with some simulated divided lights for one of your Sierra 4030 sliders? Surface applied is fine unless you want to send replacement glass. Unfortunately getting the grid in the glass at Home Depot was a special order deal and I didn't really feel like waiting 4-6 weeks to get the windows. With any luck, the entire project, minus paint, will be done by then and I will have moved on to something else. With some more luck, I'll get the thing sided before the building paper blows away. Staples don't do too much in sustained or gusting 30+ mph winds.

I am starting to get thoughts and ideas for the landscaping out back. I spent part of the day yesterday moving and sorting the pile of scraps out back and surveying the lay of the land. Without measuring, I suspect if I were to bring the grade to 6" below the top of concrete at the back of the garage, I'd be sitting a few inches higher than the "existing" yard towards the back of the house. With that in mind, I am envisioning some sort of raised beds with retaining walls on either side of the door to give the yard some variation in height. Planting probably won't happen until the spring, but if at all possible, I'd like to get all my dirt moved and hardscapes in place before it gets too cold to do anything.

1 comment:

Kitt said...

That looks great! Cozy digs for your rides.

Raised beds sound good. I'd add window boxes, too.