Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Fine Dining and Wine Shopping

Not like there really needs to be an excuse to go get a Hebrew National hot dog and a soda for $1.50 at Costco, but uh, I had to get gas in the car and stuff, so I was going to be there anyways . . . Steve and I rolled over and picked up a few other items. On the way out, we did some browsing in the Costco liquor store, but didn't find anything compelling, besides the sheer number of items in the 1.75L size. I threw out the suggesting that we head over to Divino to do some browsing there especially since I needed to restock the wine "cellar" and their selection is much better.

The cellar is now pretty well stocked, with a variety of varieties and not a bottle over $10. I'm going to have to make a little scorecard so I can keep track of what was what and what I like. Steve picked up a bottle of bourbon for the house, for medicinal purposes of course. From the sounds of it, the dental program he is taking part in at UCHSC will likely lead to drinking heavily.

The next round of sorbet hit the freezer last night as well. I had a watermelon that was screaming to be made into something frozen. I didn't want to just do a plain, sweet sorbet, so we did some thinking and some sampling to see what savory/spicy flavor would go well with watermelon . . . cayenne pepper won. I proceeded with the sorbet formula as usual, but added in a tablespoon of pepper to give it a little zip. The taste test in both liquid and slush forms indicated that the sorbet will have a sweet beginning with gradually growing heat as you eat which will be confusing but compelling with a frozen treat, results to follow.

No comments: