Friday, July 10, 2009

Survey Says . . .

Quick poll . . . is the population getting dumber, smarter, or simply more aware of seemingly complex subject matter? There is no shortage of stories about general stupidity exhibited on a daily basis. The category of criminal stupidity is one of my favorites, especially the stories where the "victim" declines to press charges for reasons like "nah . . . that was the best laugh I've ever had and the dude got his punishment" (story about somebody trying to siphon gas off a motor home but tapped into the sewage tank).

I went to lunch the other day and tried a place in my new work neighborhood. I might as well take the opportunity to explore while I can. We headed to Phoenician Kabob for some Middle Eastern grub and I give it a so-so rating. The gyros were good, but the rest of it was questionable. The baklava had so much rose water poured over it that it tasted like eating perfumed soap. The highlight of the meal had to be the bill though.


The price was right on the "sandwitch" which was pretty well stuffed with grilled meaty goodness. The misspelling would have been forgivable had there been a more ethnic staff, but the front of house guy was full on, white-bread, probably couldn't find the Mediterranean on the map, kid out of high school.

Speaking of kids and high school, this kid hasn't even made it out of high school yet, but his career path is pretty well guaranteed. There is no question that this youngster is smart as a whip, hopefully he doesn't end up in jail for hacking that helps himself rather than others. Access to this type of technology and intuitive understanding is becoming more common as kids are exposed to it at younger ages. I remember the good old days of working on the Apple IIe in the weekly computer lab classes at Durham Academy . . . wow, will you look at the stats of that high powered machine!?!

I'm still debating the merits of this article which was in the WSJ this morning. As with some other articles in the past, the tongue in cheek writing is outstanding, but the subject matter makes me afraid for the future of society. Creating a festival out of mooning the Amtrak trains as they pass seems right in line with the glimpse of society provided by Idiocracy.



The fact that the festival gets out of control should come as no surprise . . . there are a lot of asses involved.

The past couple weeks of training between races have been relatively easy. I feel slow during the week, but fast on the weekend. Case in point, I participated in a midweek race last night.


I got smoked, but at least the kid bought me some ice cream after. Hopefully I will be fast again on Sunday for the crit in Longmont which isn't the State Championship this year, but it will still be fast.

No comments: