Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Partial Successes

I was somewhat motivated last night after work and my workout. I started the remainder of the evening by hanging some more pieces of drywall, the low hanging fruit if you will. I filled in a few spots with the small, random shaped pieces that I could reach without too much trouble. I hope to get enough pieces in place to put the floor down soon.

By the time I got sick of drywalling, Matt called and asked if there was any beer drinking in the works. Beer drinking can always be arranged, plus we had a horn to install in the truck since all the bits and parts showed up. Unpacking the horn took a little more effort than you would think and there was a significant amount of planning as to what would go where in the ample space provided by the F150's engine compartment. Short story is that the horn works. The long story is that we need to track down some more wire and connectors to make the ghetto-rigging factor below nine on a scale of one to ten. Success . . . sort of.

Meanwhile, back in the house . . . I decided before Matt arrived that last night would be the night that I finally got the timer hooked up on the espresso machine. So I cut the power and then cut the cord only to be reminded that I had 4-wire 220v power and the wiring diagram for the timer refers to a 3-wire system. So the real question was, what wire goes where? I did some research, polled Matt and Steve, did some more research, and we came up with a firm "possibly" on the two hot wires going to the terminals in the timer and the common running straight through. The good news is that the proper voltage shows up and the machine operates. The bad news is that the timer doesn't seem to turn off as it should, maybe. I need to tinker some more tonight and see if it trips itself off when the mechanical dial clicks through the cycle and moves the contacts. The other bad news, sort of, is that the pump came disconnected at one wire and in poking, I shorted something and fried the switch for the left brew group. The good news is that I wanted to replace the switches anyways because they don't light up anymore. Even better, I rarely use the left brew group, thank goodness for a two group commercial machine. Without it, I couldn't get into any of this trouble!

No comments: