Monday, July 20, 2009

Weekend Rides

I really had no desire to do the Mt. Evans Hill Climb this past weekend and a quick look at the results confirmed that I made the correct decision. The top 31 in the P/1/2 category finished in under 2:00 which is faster than my fastest time. Sure, I might have set a new personal best, but I might have also sapped my will to live. So instead I headed out on my own terms and got in a good ride with Brian, Randy, Mike, and Leonard. We all rode together at times, with Mike and Leonard continuing on Golden Gate where we foolishly turned left on Robinson Hill Road.


Fortunately Randy's Mavic R-Sys wheels didn't explode on the dirt descent on Smith Hill, but he did return home after the little side trip. Brian and I continued up Golden Gate to Peak to Peak where we caught up with the others again and headed for Coal Creek Canyon. I ended up with just over 100 miles on the day (the map doesn't show me backtracking up Smith Hill to find Randy changing a flat . . . twice) and around 7000' of climbing. It was all done at a pretty easy past, but that is still a long time in the saddle.

Sunday, I headed out to Golden Gate again with the Pinkertons. I decided to head home after the first summit with the plan of getting back in the car and heading to the blackberry patch on the side of the road on 32nd out past Lakewood. When I rolled past on the way home, some people were stopped and picking . . . damnit, that was my spot! I decided the couch looked like a better idea by the time I got home, so I took a nap instead.

Steve is in town for the next month for a dental rotation at the University of Colorado Heath Sciences Center. It will be amusing having a roommate for the next few weeks. Steve was out here 10 years ago passing through so the house and the neighborhood have both changed significantly since he was last here. His visit got started off right with a trip to Sushi Den and some plotting and scheming to eat everything that counts as a "location of culinary significance" in Denver. It should be a good month.

No comments: