Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Local News

The Denver Post is a terrible paper. The newspaper delivery person mixed things up today and I got the DP instead of the WSJ. I have gotten used to reading articles that are 1000 words as opposed to 68 and I have to say, I like the detail. I can choose to read it or I can skim, but with an anemic article barely covering the simplest of facts, there's not much to work with.

Also, in the local news, zoning/building codes hit a neighborhood project. I've been watching the "thing" next door go up, wondering how long it would take before the City put the beat down on it. It has been beaten down . . .


When I got home this past week from racing, I noticed the guard shack next door had been altered dramatically to conform to code. It was moved back from the sidewalk a good few feet and the top and bottom had been chopped rather severely. It still looks dumb, but now it is well off the sidewalk. I'm waiting for the neighbor to confront me. I'll probably tell him to take it up with the inept architect/builder who told him to do it in the first place . . . zing!


The doors and windows are now completely out of proportion and way too low for normal standards, but since when has a trellis had doors and windows anyways? I feel slightly bad that time and effort went into something that had to be taken down, but you have to build what you say you are going to build when you get a permit and you have to know the applicable codes.


Meanwhile, back in the espresso room, drywall isn't exactly flying onto the walls, but I am making progress slowly. In short order, I should be able to get going on the top. I did things kinda goofy with my desire to spread some of the load to the walls instead of having the espresso machine and top sitting directly on the cabinets. Long story short, it will be done before I die. Things are shaping up with some corner bead in place, there is hope yet.

No comments: