Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yuk Yuk and Yuck

I've never been a milk drinker. I don't sit down and down a glass of milk (with the exception being Promised Land Chocolate Milk) just because it sounds good and I don't regularly buy the stuff by the gallon. When I came across an article in the WSJ about a woman in North Carolina who was starting a camel farm for milking purpose, I had to keep reading and say, "eww, yuck!" The concept is pretty grim and it keeps getting worse, the more you read. I don't necessarily see the marketing charm of either a brand name of "Camelicious" or saffron or date flavored milk. On the yuk yuk side of things, the puns have gotten out of hand with the writers at the WSJ. I'm just saying, but I don't want to be one to stow thrones in grass houses.

There was another article about beverages (also with bad word play in the title) this morning about the failure of the new "G" branding campaign to spur growth in sales of Gatorade. As a sports drink, very little has changed in the technology of the beverage, except to substitute cheaper products like corn syrup for sugar. Somebody pointed out long ago that Gatorade never compared their product to anything except water and it really isn't hard to improve on the basics. I'm not sure if CEO Indra Nooyi knew what exactly she was saying when talking about the market share Gatorade was holding on to:
Clearly some of those [former] users switched to cheaper alternatives. They didn't have a right to exist in the Gatorade world.
Uh, so has Gatorade/G been some sort of elite product and I never knew it? Or is Gatorade for "real" athletes who spend "real" money on their hydration options? Promised Land says on their website that many athletes consider chocolate milk to be an energy drink and it is great for recovery because of the vitamins and protein, but do I have a right to exist in the milk world, especially if I will snub non-bovine sources?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pepsi has been confusing me a lot lately; I have been blogging about it too. At least Indra didn't point her American finger at anyone!