Monday, June 9, 2008

Biscuit Brunch

I had the opportunity to race the Mike Horgan Hill Climb yesterday, the Sugarloaf edition which I have never done. I still have not . . . I decided it would be better to sleep in a little and have a biscuit brunch with Cory, Dana, Matt, Sara, Marla, Mike, and Deb instead.

I started the morning off with my morning cup of coffee a half batch of standard buttermilk biscuits which rise oh so nicely in the oven. People started to show up right as biscuits were coming out of the oven, good timing!


In the spirit of experimentation, I made whatever we could come up with and whatever we had ingredients for. Below are the blueberry biscuits that were attempted. Flavor was good, but the moisture of the blueberries and the weight of the sugar wrecked havoc on the structure of the biscuits. In the future, I'll try smaller blueberries, more flour, and more of a lump shape instead of trying to cut out the usual biscuit round. These got glazed with a basic milk and confectioner sugar glaze which made them a little extra gooey and sweet. In the future, I'd consider topping them with some turbinado sugar prior to baking.


There was a batch of cheddar, jalapeƱo, and cilantro that went over quite well. The addition of cilantro was Cory's genius idea and I have to say it was a good one.


We tried a sour cream and chive biscuit which came out pretty well, but I could have been a lot heavier with the chive. There was also a garlic and parmesan biscuit that came out of the oven towards the end of the brunch. It smelled incredible while baking and tasted even better. Very few of the biscuits required toppings, but the jam, butter and Nutella were on hand just in case.

As the afternoon winds picked up, Cory and I hit the road for a quick spin out to and up Lookout. My legs felt nice and crispy from the day before. On the return trip, we cut through downtown, taking advantage of people watching opportunity at the Peoples' Fair . . . wow is all I can say.

1 comment:

Steve Daniels said...

Good luck with the blueberry biscuits. FYI, Bojangles sold their corporate soul to the devil for the recipe for BoBerry Biscuits!