Monday, June 2, 2008

Uh . . . Thanks . . .

I think the finger can be pointed squarely at Xcel Energy on this one. I thought at first it might have been the City and County of Denver sub-contractor responsible for rotomilling, but when I drove past after lunch yesterday, there was a backhoe in the middle of the street digging away. It dawned on me then that the street had been marked for Xcel to put in the gas service laterals at the job site across the street.


Evidence suggests that they simply decided to cut across my grass when backfilling the hole closest to my property. A quick call placed to the Builders' Call Line this morning put me onto the Denver Metro Construction Department Manager . . . we'll see how that works for me.

Speaking of the duplex, it is starting to take shape. It looks somewhat modern right now, but it is hard to tell what is going to go on top of the plywood sheeting. They could pull the typical Denver hack-itecture and mix materials like nobody's business. There seems to be a common thread of mixing stone, stucco, siding, etc. giving it that oh so swell "builder special" aesthetic. I like the mezzanine feature at the 3rd floor, good use of the nomenclature loophole left in the building code.


I managed to get out on the bike last night after work to spin the legs out a bit and try to get rid of the crunchy feeling from the weekend. In keeping with the forecast for the week, mostly doom and gloom each and every afternoon, the clouds rolled in pretty spectacularly as demonstrated by this thunderhead.


Neither weather nor Xcel Energy damaged the mint I recently moved outside. A couple of the sproutlets didn't survive the move from water to soil, but those that did look solid. I still have a few in reserve in water that have a full set of roots.


Come Kentucky Derby time next year, I hope to have a veritable crop of mint growing somewhere, well controlled, in my yard.

UPDATE: Nice work Xcel Energy . . . I got a call back already from the Manager for the construction department. The claim is in with their restoration/repair people and should be taken care of within ten days.

1 comment:

Kitt said...

You could dig up that patch some more and claim it was a really nice selection of drought-tolerant perennials on a berm. Squashed flat! You must replace it!

Fingers crossed for attractive modern and not monster mishmash on that duplex.