Friday, June 27, 2008

Changes

Despite housing market woes and economic forecasts predicting pain, every corner you turn in my neighborhood bring you to another scrape off redevelopment project. I walk past the corner of Pennsylvania and Florida just about every day and managed to miss the early signs of this one coming down.


Although this demo/excavation/utilities/foundation/flatwork/other contractor does have a reputation for showing up on short notice and getting the job done in a hurry. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's bad. For example, when the GC hasn't finished pulling permits, starting the job is a bad thing.


Speaking of scrape offs, I looked up the listing for the duplex across the street from me. Compare if you will the construction shot to the architect's rendering:





I can only hope and pray that they don't really go for baby vomit green as the stucco color. Most of the prep is complete and the scratch coat of stucco should be going up in the next week or so, shortly followed by the color coat. The realtor also put up the full listing on the internet. I am going to have to do some sleuthing because the property is listed as a single family residence, "your urban oasis" in fact, but I'm pretty sure it is a duplex.

While we are on the subject of unique and interesting, can somebody explain this one to me? So far as I can tell, it is a statue of a burro/donkey/mule made of manure (this is my guess because the gallery next door is responsible for dung bunnies).


Does the statue really need the extra head attached to the hind quarters of the animal? What size garden is this feature capable of fertilizing?


There is more change on the horizon for neighborhood businesses. Seems Like Old Times has moved out of their space on the corner of Pearl and Florida, Maxine's Market and Twelfth House up the street have vacated as well. I will have to do some digging and see what the word on the street is about new occupants.

2 comments:

Kitt said...

Definitely a duplex. It has the potential to be attractive. At least it's not a cookie-cutter McMansion.

I was sorry to lose Maxine's Market. She had some family issues that necessitated her moving to the Carolinas.

I won't miss Seams Like Old Times, though. the few times I was in there they were less than helpful, and seriously overpriced.

Kitt said...

I asked Susan Bell about the sculpture. It's a prototype, maybe a topiary. And yes, it's a donkey, in honor of the soon-t0-arrive Democrats, possibly full of shit and laden down with Republican baggage (hence the extra faces of Bush and Cheney on its back).