Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Commuting

After my second ride into work on the new commuter, I have been able to compile some statistics. The trip one way is 1.3 miles and takes 5-6 minutes by bicycle depending on traffic. This means that over the course of a year (assume 200 working days) I save $104 that I would have been spending on gas. I don't even know what the figures are these days for vehicle wear and tear, but I save on that too.

The cost to get the commuter up and running was pretty minimal. The only things it really needed were a new bottom bracket (not the easiest finding a square taper spindle, cartridge style, with Italian threading) and a chain. I put on new bar tape, the cushy gel stuff and have created quite the wish list for future commuting needs. If you want to buy me a gift, you can select from the following . . .

Riding around on the old Look pedals isn't really the best way to go. The potential for having a foot slip off would be greatly minimized by these pedals from Crank Brothers.


When the weather gets ugly, I'll still probably ride the 1.3 miles back and forth to work, but keeping the water and road grime from spraying in my face and up my back would be ideal. Some sweet fenders like these would do the trick.


Eventually, I'd like to build a front wheel with an internal dynamo in the front hub so I could have some light for safety at night. Sure there are battery operated options, but I'm trying to keep my carbon footprint to a minimum.


If you need to know where to send any of this stuff, let me know. I'll make sure it is as easy as possible for you to get these items in my hands and on the bike. For the time being, I'll keep riding the bike as is. I might have a line on a replacement freewheel already which is somewhat incredible. One of my teammates said he has an old, new 7-speed freewheel at home. If the spacing is right and the threading is English . . . it might just work.

No comments: