Sunday, June 22, 2008

Riding with the Brenner

I decided that I didn't get enough climbing in on Saturday so I decided to head to the hills again Sunday morning for a long, leisurely cruiser of a ride with approximately 9300' of climbing over the course of 95 miles.

Fortunately, nobody was too motivated to get out too early so Matt and I rode west to meet Joey and Simon in the Morrison vicinity around 10:30 and kept heading up from there.



Simon had domestic duties and had to pick up the family unit at the airport later in the afternoon, so he turned down Witter Gulch to head back to his mountain home, but provided plenty of entertainment prior.


Matt turned back at this point having been suckered into going up Squaw Pass against his will. Despite the strange looking clouds hovering, Joey and I pressed on towards Echo Lake and the promise of snacks at the Safeway in Idaho Springs.


All in all it was a good ride, just what I needed heading into The Dead Dog Classic this coming weekend. The Brenner and I met up again Monday evening for some recovery laps around Wash Park. As per usual, he rolled up in a Porsche, but this time it was the 911 Carrera Cabriolet and yes you can fit a bike in the back seat, with the top down.


Recovery laps were followed with recovery food at Pasquini's. We stopped by India's Pearl which had the "now open" piece of paper on the door, picked up a menu, but opted for the sure thing since we were both pretty hungry post ride. I'll probably stop back in to do some tasting within the week.

Recovery food was followed by recovery ice cream at PBC. I put the Cinnamon-Caramel Swirl up there in the favorite flavors list. I did as much sampling as possible hitting the ice creams and the sorbets in the process of making an oh so difficult decision. Recovery ice cream was followed by recovery gluing a tubular, followed by recovery sleep. By the weekend, I should be fully recovered.

No comments: