Sunday, June 8, 2008

State TT '08

Can you sense the excitement?!? Kevin looks like he is about to burst from the sheer thrill of the pending time trial . . .


After two years of barely missing out on getting on the podium in the P/1/2 Colorado State Time Trial Championships, I finally jumped onto the bottom step. In yesterday's thrilling event, I rode a 50:04, a scant two seconds slower than last year. Given the stiff wind coming directly from the east, it was a respectable effort. I tried to gauge my effort, taking it easier in the tailwind sections so I could suffer "better" riding back into the wind on the endless, gradual rises the course has. I am not exaggerating when I say it is the most boring course ever and I have the pictures to prove it. It is so easily to drift mentally as you ponder the nothingness of the fringe of the eastern plains.


I won't bore you with the description of the ride, you can write your own story based on the pictures. The awards ceremony was the highlight of the day. I stood by the dumpster where they were posting results, waiting for the P/1/2 results to come back from the finish area. As soon as they were posted, I joyfully exclaimed, "Weeeee" and walked over to Yvonne who gave me a congratulatory hug and my third place medal and ACA voucher.

We sat around after the time trial and left when we realized there was no point in being out there at all . . . ever.

I headed over to Randy's house to play bikes and get my old, old bike back up and running as a commuter. The Guerciotti polished up nicely and looks good with some tires and new bar tape. Now I need to peruse the internet and either find a six speed Suntour freewheel or a 17 or 18 tooth, position A cog since I have some major wear and skipping issues.


Eventually I'll get some fenders, some fancy platform pedals, and way down the road, I'll look into the Shimano dynamo front hub and light set to make it a real commuter. For now it is good enough for however many blocks it is to work and for the evening out on the town.

2 comments:

Kitt said...

Congrats!

I sometimes with I hadn't sold my old road bike at my garage sale, but the buyer was happy, and it had never been a really good fit for me, anyway.

The dog makes me walk everywhere, anyway.

Unknown said...

Awesome job dude!