Tuesday, May 19, 2009

There Goes the N-hood

If I were actively using labels on this blog, I'm pretty sure the labels for this post would be WTF and AYFKM (not sure if this is as well known as WTF, but you can guess what it stands for. I was innocently cleaning off the bike on the front porch the other morning, as is my pre-race ritual, when the neighbor started setting posts in the front yard. Proximity to the front yard suggested some sort of arbor/pergola or entry thing at the gate . . . lovely, but the posts were too close together and they were all set to one side of the gate. After the concrete for the posts set, the framing began, at which point I exclaimed, "WTF?!?" Then he broke out the OSB sheeting and I asked rhetorically, "AYFKM?!?!"

There are a variety of theories as to what is being built, but I'll let you make the call. Here's the view from my yard, fortunately the neighbor didn't thin out the jungle of shrubs too much, but there's still time for him to make more of a mess.


From across the street, the uh, structure looks a little more imposing. I'm wondering if it is a sniper tower given the clerestory windows. The general construction is pretty shoddy, but hopefully that will all be a moot point . . .


The approach from the north is less than attractive. I can't wait to see what the neighbor is going to do to finish this off . . . before a City Inspector happens upon it and makes him take it all down since it is a non-conforming structure, built without a permit, too close to the right of way.


Every time I walk past, I can't help but think of the scene below from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Again, I say, "WTF?!?" . . . I am really not sure what made the neighbor think any of this was a good idea. Although this is the same guy who put what looked like a futon frame up in front of his gas meter at the front of the house. I later found out that it was some "custom" wood work . . . 2x4s nailed together in an "intricate" pattern.



With the amount of new construction going on in the neighborhood, I can only hope it won't be too long before Neighborhood Inspection Services comes across this gem and hopefully has it taken down. Until then, I will be saying, "WTF?!? . . . AYFKM?!?" on at least a daily basis.

No comments: