Tuesday, January 22, 2008

-0 F??

What really determines if the zero is on the positive or negative side of the scale? It was cold regardless, one of those mornings were I put on the extra sweater, wrap the scarf extra tight, and hope that my fingers don't go so numb that I can't hold the rapidly cooling coffee.

These walks with the dog start out the same way as pretty much every morning. Walk out the door, down the street, see what the dog has to sniff, say a few words to him, pick up some poo, keep my head down, trying to keep my chin wrapped in scarf, but my mouth available for coffee.

Usually the worse the morning, the more some little thing will impress me and wake me from my morning stupor and gloom. This morning it was the faintest hint of the moon dipping below what looked like either a set of clouds from a front or pollution. Whatever it was picked up the glow of the full moon setting. I knew there wouldn't be enough time to get home and get the camera, plus I probably couldn't capture it accurately anyways so I stayed in the park and kept throwing Dempsey's manky tennis ball. As the moon continued to set, it got larger through the magic of perspective and its hue turned more towards orange as the rising sun cast a pinkish tint on the morning sky.

By the time I left the house to go to work, the morning resumed with the ordinary . . . people passing by in traffic, oblivious to their surroundings. At least I have picked up something besides poo this morning.

No comments: