Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bread

I started attempt #1 of batch of dough #2 last night and got the bread in the oven this morning before heading off to work. For the batch, I tried using half bread flour, half all purpose, reduced the yeast and salt to 1T each. On attempt #1, I shaped the loaf and let it rest in the fridge overnight. The loaf sat on the counter for about 30 minutes while the oven came to temperature.


The loaf flattened out some as it rested, but didn't reach the flying saucer state I saw on one of my earlier attempts. There was some oven spring, but nothing as dramatic as the very first loaf. I'd like to find the happy medium between the two. Next attempt, I'll let the loaf rest for 60 to 90 minutes at room temperature and see what happens. All in all, not a bad looking loaf.


It felt a little bit dense, but both crust and crumb are respectable. The other aspect I would like to work on is the bottom of the loaf which stayed a little on the pale side and softer than expected. I will try giving the oven a little more time after it has come to temperature to ensure that the unglazed quarry tiles are thoroughly heated. I will also pull the loaf off the parchment sooner, although I wouldn't think that would make a huge difference.



Speaking of not too bad looking, the powers that be across the street opted for grey as the main stucco color, slightly lighter grey for the accent on the side, and forest green for the mezzanine.



I will have to get a better picture in the afternoon when the light is better. I'll be curious to see what the other material is going to be on the facade.

No comments: