Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Still Alive

After weeks of torment and abuse (not really), my grocery store, refrigerated packs of herbs are still alive. When we last left off, the remainder from the packs were clipped, put in water, and left on the window sill in the kitchen to root. Those that rooted got transferred to soil, and were eventually moved outside. The mint is really taking off.


At some point, the mint will out grow its current pot and will have to be transferred into something larger. I'd like get the mint in the ground one of these days, but that would require knowing where it was going to go and isolating it appropriately so it doesn't take over the yard.

The basil is doing pretty well. I need to start clipping more actively to promote some more growth so I have enough to do something with it. I hear it is possible to keep it alive during the winter but since it is an annual I don't have the greatest of expectations.


The plants that have really surprised me are the succulents from Derek and Lisa's wedding last year. I repotted them a little while back, putting all three together in a larger pot. They need to be repotted separately into larger pots, but as leaves fall off, they pull some sort of strange alien routine and sprout from the fallen leaf. It kind of freaks me out to tell you the truth.

This afternoon, I'll be headed west to go up the hill on the time trial bike in big gears once again. I'm actually kind of looking forward to this workout, just for a change of pace and something that I don't do every day. After taking the day off yesterday (with the exception of the commute), I think my legs are ready for some more torture.

1 comment:

Kitt said...

You basil definitely won't overwinter, but the mint will, in the ground. The best way to keep it contained is to get a jumble plastic pot and cut the bottom out of it. Bury it to within an inch or two of the top, then plant the mint in it.

Alternately, plant it where it is mostly surrounded by concrete, and just be prepared to ride herd on the edges where it can escape.