Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In the Kitchen

After riding in circles at the park last night, I hit the store to buy some fruit so I could finally use the ice cream maker attachment that came as the rebate on the KitchenAid mixer. Peaches were on sale so I decided to make a batch of peach sorbet for the test run.


The bowl is essentially a double walled bowl with some sort of anti freeze in the middle so it gets nice and cold, but you don't get the mess of an open ice and salt water bath. The dasher and drive assembly were a little lighter than I thought they would be, but they seemed to get the job done.

The sorbet post dashing, but pre time in the freezer . . . kind of looks like baby food.


The post freezer time looks kind of like . . . frozen baby food. The taste test got two thumbs up. It has a nice peachy flavor and the consistency is good. I am slightly hesitant to make ice cream. I know what goes into it, but if I actively pour that much heavy cream into the mix, I am likely to stop eating ice cream all together. I might get over the irrational fear or try some alternatives like the frozen yogurt recipe from Food & Wine back in May. Mmmmm . . . frogurt . . .

Batch #2 of no knead bread is in the fridge doing its thing. Tomorrow will be day three of percolating so I will shape a loaf, let it rest for an hour and a half at room temperature and then bake. This batch has less salt and less yeast and I did half bread flour, half all purpose, and about 1/3 C more water. Pictures to follow.

1 comment:

Kitt said...

Looks great! It's hard to get homemade ices with the consistency of commercial stuff because you're not using stabilizer additives like carrageenan and xathan gum.

Here's a useful article that addresses the chemistry.

I've made ice cream using heavy cream, and frankly, it's too rich for me. But my strawberry frozen yoghurt turned out great!

I'll be interested to hear how your bread turns out.