Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What Will They Think of Next?

The City of Los Angeles has an obesity epidemic much like the rest of the country, its citizens are blowing up faster than balloons at a carnival. A member of City Council is trying to pass legislation that would ban new fast food restaurants from opening in certain areas.

The logic behind Councilwoman Perry's arguments seem to be derived from the family discussion captured in the clip below.


Without getting into discussions too deep and involved, where is the fine line between government regulations for general safety and a nanny state with the purpose of protecting people from themselves? Where do you stop? Don't grocery stores have similar foods on their shelves that are also the means to the undesired result of a population growing larger in girth?

I have come to enjoy watching the excesses displayed in AMC's Mad Men. I can't imagine a work place filled with chain smoking in house and cocktail hour starting mid-morning in just about every executive's office. If you haven't had a chance to watch the series, take a gander, get caught up before Sunday when Season 2 gets started. I put the show in the category of TV that is not immediately making me dumber for having watched it.

In the same vein, I'm looking forward to Pushing Daisies coming back, but I have to wait for October on that one. I can only keep my fingers crossed that the influx of decent TV will soon banish "reality" shows to the depths of the internet where they belong.

1 comment:

I am Brian said...

I wish there were more chances for Natural Selection to do it's thing without being interrupted by man and technology.