Friday, July 18, 2008

Epic Proportions

The status of my living room as a bike shop has surpassed any high water mark ever set. As I made my way to the door this morning, I had to zig around the pile of wheels on one side, avoid the three bikes lined up by the fireplace, and get the door open without knocking over the precarious pile of tires waiting to go on said wheels. Added to the mix is a sweet set of early 1980s Campy Record tubular wheels donated to the cause by Chip. I'll have to get a picture to post, they have some pretty sweet high flanged hubs.

They were just taking up space in his basement and who besides me really needs wheels with a six speed freewheel . . . We were checking out the cluster just after Meridian last night and the freewheel should give me a little more cruising ability for the rides around town. Don't get me wrong, having been on the big gear crushing program for a while, I certainly can ride around town in the 52x17, but I'd much rather spin easily and not work up a sweat on the way to work or wherever I happen to be headed on the old Guerciotti.

With the Mt. Evans Hillclimb on the schedule for tomorrow, the forecast is for a high of 80, increasing chance of storms in the afternoon, and high likelihood of suffering. As of Thursday registrations, the field (scroll down to the P/1/2 list) will have some pretty heavy hitters.


As you can see from the topo map and elevation profile, this is indeed a hillclimb. With the exception of the little dip at Summit Lake, there really isn't much relief on this one. Ride to the top, catch your breath, pile on some clothes and ride back down, call it a day.

2 comments:

Kitt said...

You're crazy. I'm just sayin'.

Good luck on the climb.

Seth Rubin said...

That would be the most logical explanation for many things . . .